CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Powered By Blogger

My Cute Family!

My Cute Family!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Rat Lady.......

It started with a message on my cell phone with a harsh, man's voice.  Couldn't understand most of what he said, but this is the gist of what I understood:  "Hello, we're interested in your hairless rats.  Can you call us back.  (phone number)."  Ok.....I at least could make out the "hairless rats" part so I knew what the call was about.  I tried to call back only to get HIS voice mail. 

Two days later I get another call.  This time is was a woman's voice asking about my hairless rats.  I must have been on speaker phone because I heard that same gravely man talking in the background!  Oh!  Ok...."You called the other day,"  I say.  "Yes.  I want your rats....whatever you have."  I only had two, but she wanted them bad.  "I live in Yakima, Washington."  she says.  Jeez....that's a ways away.  I told her that my husband works in Washington quite often and he can bring them up with him and that would cut her drive in half.  "No," she says, "I'm going to come today if that's ok with you.....and don't you sell them rats, even if someone offers you a million dollars!"  Ok lady!  Dang!  "No problem," I tell her, "They're yours!"  She told me they would leave in the afternoon and call me when they were close, to get directions. 

I didn't get that call until 11:30 at night!!!  Ok, I won't exaggerate; it wasn't that late.....it was 11:20.  Yes, I was in bed....yes, I was NOT happy.  I was especially not happy when she told me that they were in the Portland area and how much further did they have before getting to Roseburg!  3 hours!!!!  She was sorry and told me that they got a later start than they had planned.  Ya think??!!!  She asked if it was ok if they could just keep on coming until they got here.  I said no.  "Can't you stop somewhere and just come in the morning?"  I ask.   "No, I really want to be back home in the morning."  "Ok", I said, "Call again when you hit Roseburg.  I'll keep the phone near me so I'll hear it."  Oh man.  All I could think about was having to get up at 2 in the morning to go out to the barn to retrieve rats and sit with her while she drools over them.  I'm going to be very tired tommorow!  I go back to bed dreading it.

I didn't get the call until 8:00 in the morning.  They ended up stopping to sleep and they were now in Albany and on their way.  Thank heavens!!!!  Albany is about 1 1/2 hours North of here.  She told me she'd call when she got into town.  Fine.

I didn't get that call until 1:30 pm.  Dang!  How long does it take to drive 1 1/2 hours???  It's not like I had all day to sit and wait for their arrival.  It's not like I have a life and have things to do instead of staying close to the house with my phone nearby.  grrrrr.  Ok, at least they were in town.

Finally, they arrived!  A middle-aged woman, a young boy, and a wrinkled old guy in dirty overalls, who's mouth was missing more than a couple of teeth. 

I already had the rats waiting for them in the living room.  She instantly fell in love with the hairless!  She'd been looking for years for hairless, all over the nation, and here were two...and so close!  I had made her "dreams come true!"  Or so she said.  Ok, now I felt bad for having murder on my mind.  Not only did she buy the two hairless, she also bought two normal rats, two cockateils and two large bird cages.  She almost bought a couple more cockateils and a rabbit or two.  She decided to wait until she had the money to get those.  Really?  Most people buy before they have the money for it!  So I have to say I admired her restraint in that matter.

Over all, the experience was alright.  She was a very nice lady and the old man was funny and personable.  The child was quiet and polite.  And she spent a lot of money....which I get to now put in my pocket. 

Next time, I really should not grumble too quickly.  I love what I do, and most of the time, the people I deal with are very nice.  This was no exception.  And now I have another animal friend....and according to her, a future customer.  We'll see.....

No comments:

Post a Comment