CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Powered By Blogger

My Cute Family!

My Cute Family!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Our Vacation.....day nine. Our second day in Cabo.

Yep, our second day.  I found out that not many cruises stay in a single port for two days.  This one did.  Which was fine with me.  It gave us the time to do some more exploring in this cute city.  The first day was basically a wash because of our excursion.....everyone was so tired after that, that walking all over the city was out of the question.

We woke up the next morning feeling better, but most of us got too much sun and our cheeks glowed red.  No wonder we were so wiped out after our boat trip.  The sun will do that to ya.

Also, I didn't mention this before, but that day at Disneyland, when we got rained on, took a toll on most of us. Three of us caught a cold.  Sore throat, stuffy nose, sneezing/coughing (which could also explain why we were so bushed the first day).   Not a good way to spend a vacation, but we made the best of it.  Problem is....I was not at home with a large cabinet of medications at our disposal!  We were on a boat with a small store that had limited selection for our ills.  And what they did have was EXPENSIVE!!!  Dang!  Now I know how they make their money....by ripping us off on the necessities of life!  I went ahead and bought Musenex and cough drops because we were desperate.   I would have preferred Day/Nyquil, but they didn't have any. 

So on this next day, two of the sickies opted to stay on the ship instead of walking around Cabo.  Max was the worse.  He slept all day.  Erin was also sick, but not as bad.  Corinne stayed with her on the ship.  So that left me, Jim and Austin to do Cabo.  Erin asked us find her a fedora for a souvenir....white with a black band.  Ok, no problem. 

Off the three of us went!  For the most part, Cabo is just a tourist trap.  I suppose most popular ports-of-call are like that.  Lots of souvenir shops, restaurants and cheap drugs stores.  Wait!  Drug stores???  Maybe they have Nyquil!  So the first one we came upon I decided to stop and see.  It was a small cubical of a place with the entire front of the store in glass.  The doors slide open to the side like our sliding glass doors we have here in the U.S.  So I grab the handle and pull.  They didn't budge.  But I know they're open cuz the sign says so!  So I try harder only to be surprised with an alarm!  What??  BUT THE SIGN SAYS "OPEN"!!  "Ok, let's just walk away casually.  I don't want to get arrested," I tell my guys.  Stupid sign.  As we walked, I really expected to see or hear sirens from the authorities, or something.  They never came.  We could hear the alarm for a long time.  I felt safe when we finally turned down another street.  We found another drug store that WAS open and went in.  Whew!  All I could think about was getting arrested and not being able to get out.....I've heard that this happens sometimes to Americans in Mexico.  Wouldn't that have been swell!  Well, obviously we didn't get arrested, because I'm here to tell the tale.  hehe


Shops

Back to the task at hand.....drugs.  No Nyquil.  Grrr.  In fact, there was nothing there that looked familiar at all.  I told the man at the counter that we all had colds....what did he have that could help with that.  "This will help you sleep at night at the same time as helping with the symptoms."  Ok, I'll take it.  We all took it that evening before bed.  Not sure it helped.....maybe it did.  That's the funny thing about cold medicines.....you never feel totally well, but you're not sure if you'd feel worse without it.  ??

Anyway, I took my purchase and we proceeded to go up the street in search of some authentic Mexican artifacts to take home as a souvenir....oh, and a fedora.

Sometimes I don't like shopping with Jim.  He can be very picky.  I'm, like, "Ok, I like this!  Let's buy it and be done with it."  He wants to make sure that it's the BEST thing available to us, so we walk on and on looking forever until he KNOWS what he wants.  *sigh*  Ok, whatever, just get something!  We ended up a mile from the ship before we were finally done.  We mostly ended up with clay bowls and plates.  Love them!  And I couldn't get away without buying some sort of jewelry.  So I bought a small silver pendent with mother of pearl in pink.  I was happy!  We were also successful in finding a fedora for Erin.  She was happy with it! 

A couple other things we saw that were interesting:  A guy dressed as a pirate painted all in gold....clothes, hair, skin....the whole works.  He stood on a wooden box with a small open box in front of him hoping you'd throw in money.  We also saw someone in a cartoonish costume of Michael Jackson.  He had a big head!  There was also a tent that had young tigers and lions that you can pay to hold and have your pictures taken with.  We learned, too, that Sammy Hagar owns a bar here called Cabo Wabo.  We walked by it but didn't go in.  We imagined that the big, fancy yacht we saw in the harbor was his....it was just a guess.  Anyway......


Gold Pirate and Michael

Ok....here's where we made our worse mistake (besides not bring our own Nyquil!):

My feet were really not feeling happy, so I thought it would be cool to hire one of the many guys that ride a bicycle with a cart on the back to take us back to the dock.  I stood out on the street looking for one while Jim finished making his last purchase.  I saw one way down the street so I did my big whistle for him (yes, I can do a big whistle....my dad taught me how.  He was cool that way!).  The guy heard it!  I waved at him and he came quickly.  He said it was no problem to take three adults.  He was kinda a small guy and he was drinking soda as his liquid refreshment.  !!  Whatever.  So we hopped in and off we went!  It took about 10 minutes to get back to the harbor.  The poor guy was sweating up a storm.  He assured us that he was doing ok......he must really be fit!  When we reached our destination, I asked him how much.  Oh....$100.  !!!!!What!!!!!  I don't THINK so!  "ok, he said, $60....$20 for each person."  "How about $40?"  "Nope, $60"  grrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I bet his family ate well that week. 

Back on the ship I was happy to sit down to a good meal and to just SIT.  My feet hurt and I was bushed!....AGAIN!  I really need to get into better shape.

.....and I REALLY wish I had asked how much he would charge BEFORE we got in.  An expensive lesson to learn.......oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment