CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Powered By Blogger

My Cute Family!

My Cute Family!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Our Vacation.....day six. All Aboard!!!

Sunday, March 27....the day I'd been waiting for for a long time!  This is the day we'd be starting our cruise!  YAY!!!  But first we had to actually get out of bed and get going! 

We really didn't need to get a super early start....we were only going to San Diego.  And they were not starting to board anyone until 12:30.  So we took the time to stop on our way down at the National Cemetery to say hi to my mom and dad.  They looked good!  I think they liked the flowers we brought.  Took some pictures then said goodbye.

The drive to San Diego was nice.  Pretty part of the state.  We figured we'd end up getting there way early, so we made a detour to see Corinne's guy friend.  None of us got out of the van except Corinne.  We gave her 30 minutes to meet this guy for the first time ever.  They stood on the front porch and talked---I'm not sure about what....but something, I'm sure.  Very exciting....

Finally....off to the ship!!!  Finding it was no problem, even though we'd never been there before.  And it was obvious which ship was ours!  Maybe because it was the only cruise ship sitting there.  And parking was right across the street....easy!

As we pulled, pushed and carried all our luggage and paraphernalia toward the dock, I started to sweat.  No, I'm not that out of shape.  No, it was not a warm day.  (Oh de contrair!  It was way cooler than we expected from Southern California in March!  I'm glad I had thrown a light jacket in my suitcase as an after thought!)  I was sweating because I was nervous that I might not have everything we needed to get on the boat!  They were very firm in insisting on having certain things and I hoped I had it all!  The adults needed picture IDs and everyone needed birth certificates.  At least that's how I read it and I even called the cruise help line to make sure I read it correctly.  Yep, that's all we needed, the nice lady on the other end of the phone line assured me.  Ok....then why am I feeling so nervous??  I DON'T KNOW!  Nothing I can do about it now.  We're 17 hours away from home....if I didn't have everything, then we'll just go back to Roseburg.  No problem!

Of course, I didn't have anything to worry about!  We had all the proper paperwork and they let us on!!!  Whew!

First order of business?  LUNCH!  The best part of a cruise is the food!!  Just ask anyone!  We headed straight for the Lido deck.  That has all the buffets.  I didn't want to be a glutton on this trip so I just had the salads.  No...not the kind rabbits eat, but all the ones that have yummy meats and veggies and sauces on them!   And there were, like, plenty to choose from.  And they were all delicious!

All I needed to do now was take a shower!  I really wanted to wash all the car-travel off of me!  The second I could, I was in our room gettin' clean.  And of course, I just had to shave the legs so I could wear my capris and lay out in the sun.  Hairy legs just don't mix with cruise ships!  I had packed a brand new disposable one, knowing that I'd shave the first day.  It was all part of the plan. 

What I hadn't planned on was slicing my ankle open with that brand new razor and bleeding all over the floor of the bathroom.   I'm sure who ever cleaned the bathroom that evening wondered what the heck!  I also did not plan on the mandatory safety meeting to start the second I got out of the shower.  I threw on clothes and sandals and ran a quick comb through the wet hair.  I grabbed a couple of kleenex for my bleeding leg and dashed out to our meeting place.  As we stood there, all lined up, I kept bending over to sop up the blood.  It was a bad one!  I even had a lady behind me tap my shoulder to inform me that I had a problem.  Really???  I hadn't noticed....thanks!  One of the cruise helpers saw me bleeding and asked if I wanted to go to first aide.  "Yes, please".  I mean, my poor sandal was getting soaked and my kleenex needed to be replenished.   What a way to start my cruise!!

All the lady at first aide did was give me band aides.  Whatever.  The up side is that I didn't have to stand and get lectured on how to put on a life jacket or how to drown gracefully, or whatever they talk about.  By the time I was done with my ankle, they were done with the safety meeting.  yay!  The down side?  I had to wear band aides for the entire cruise, cuz every time I took them off it started to bleed.  And it sure hurt too!   grrrr. 

Being Sunday, and having booked this cruise because it would have special meetings for people of my religion, we went to a Sunday service just like we would have had at home.  For those of you that are not of my religion, you may be bored with the next paragraph....just warning you.

Sacrament meeting was short and sweet.  They had us sing an opening hymn a capella, prayer and passing of the sacrament.  Austin was asked to bless and Max was asked to pass.  It was a very proud moment for me to be able to witness my worthy sons participate in this holy ordinance.  Yes, they do it every week....I've seen them do it many times.  But this was really cool.  They were joined by several other boys that were part of our group.  We were all dressed in our Sunday's best.  The only part that seemed oxymoron-ish is that the meeting was being held in one of the ship's lounges--with a bar on one side of the room and a small stage with band equipment on the other.  lol  John Bytheway gave a talk.  Then another a capella hymn and prayer.  It was very nice. 


John Bytheway

Afterward, we went to the dinning room and had a wonderful dinner!  I over ate (so much for NOT being a glutton).....  but it was worth it!  After wandering around the ship for a while and having a family meeting to discuss the next day, we went to bed early....we were very tired.  Tomorrow we would be on the ship all day.  It wouldn't be until Tuesday when we'd finally be able to get off the ship at our destination.....Cabo San Lucas, Mexico!

This is the Carnival "Spirit".....our ship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment